Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Going after the one....

My first cambio

So this week I made notes so that when it came time to write I was prepared! This week has been interesting we had a lot of training but still managed to get a lot of work done! I wish I could send you all pictures this week but yet again I am on a computer that needs some tlc so I will wait for next week.

Last week mom wanted to know about all the food that I have liked so far on the mission. That's a hard question because I have liked pretty much all of it the thing is that there is so much of it! Here they plan on 2 courses and because I am American they plan two plates of the main course for me. I didn't have a big stomach before my mission and I was raised to accept what I am offered and eat it all so sometimes I struggle! haha. So first was Marizco with shrimp! It was so good they have this version of ketchup here that is to die for! Then their is this pie with cheese and sarsomora which I think is blueberry but to be honest I was in heaven so I didn't ask specifics. Finally a type of water that you make from oatmeal it sounds weird but its so good! Weird thing that's good rice and bananas that's good stuff but a different combination.

Back to more spiritual things! So teaching like crazy has helped me so much with some of the challenges that we face the days that we teach a bunch its like being on a cloud. The days that we walk up and down our area are tiring and not as fulfilling but I know that these days of extremely hard work are the foundation for the good days. Funny story about one of our investigators he basically asked if he could just got to church listen to our lessions forever but never give up drinking. It was needless to say a little heartbreaking! haha

I learned a lot this week from a young adult in our ward. She received a list of less active young adults and started calling people on the list and getting information. When she felt comfortable she asked us to help her find people (because in Mexico there are no rules for addresses) So we started to help her and found two families that were not on our lists and that have been wayward for two years or more!

My testimony about going after the 1 that's lost. We typically visit between 6 and 8 less/inactive members a week and a lot of the time they still don't come to church. However we keep working and keep cultivating and hoping that one week that commitment will be fulfilled and we saw it. Not only that we all receive a lot of opportunities to share with people in the household that aren't members.

For my scripture this week I want to share the picture I have picked for my mission scripture. D&C 123: 16-17 This scripture is so beautiful, simple, and powerful. A lot of times we are this ship we have a huge faith and we think we are progressing but we forget the little things and the little things are what guide us. When we are in the middle of the storm and we have done all that we can will we be calm and at peace. This scripture is about work and patience when we have both we will succeed in life and in a mission. Ask yourself everyday what kind of ship you are. A barge that needs to be dragged through, a sail boat that's only good with good weather or an oceanliner that will press forward undeterred. I love you all press forward!

Elder Packham

Here is Michael's mission scripture:

D&C 123:16-17

16. You know, brethren, that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a storm, by being kept workways with the wind and and waves.
17. Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

I have given this a lot of thought.  Here are some of those thoughts......Be assured that there is a safe harbor. You can find peace amidst the storms that threaten you. Your Heavenly Father knows of your heartaches and suffering. He loves you and wants the best for you. Never doubt this. He has promised the faithful peace even in their trials and tribulations. And how beautiful that is. That we can find perfect peace through Him because he provided a way for us to find comfort in times of distress. God isn’t asking us to conquer the world, or do the impossible. He is simply asking us to try our best, and make the best with what we have been given. And stand still. God expects us to have enough faith to stand still when difficult times arise, and enough determination to trust in his plan for each and everyone of us. God is anxiously waiting to help us through this journey we signed up for, and I couldn't be happier that through Him, we can find peace and everlasting happiness. 
I can clearly see why Michael has chosen this as a mission scripture.  What a great message to share with those he teaches. It is a good reminder for me that God isn't asking me to conquer the world or do the impossible - he is simply asking me to do my best!!! And let's not forget that we need stand still when difficult times arise and have trust in His plan for us.
I found this talk by Joseph B Wirthlin that I want to share with you.  
It is entitled, Concern for the One. 

True disciples of Jesus Christ have always been concerned for the one.

No comments:

Post a Comment