Thursday, March 19, 2015

"Hear to listen, Listen to learn, Learn to act"

Well this is a crazy letter to write for me. This week has been full of a lot a changes here in the CCM (Missionary Training Center). I forget to write and tell everyone that David Archuletta was here last week with the girl from the dominican republic from the Meet the mormons movie. I have been studying my heart out in the scriptures and have learned a lot. Sometimes I worry that I spend to much time in the scriptures but then I remember that the lord will help with my weaknesses.

This week at TRC (a class where we teach volunteers) The emphasis was on receiving revelation through the book of Mormon. We taught this guy who hasn't been to church in six years and I realized something incredible. I have a huge testimony about the power of this book and what blessing it can offer us in our lives. I read in Jacob 4:6, 9, 10. I will share with you all a part of this testimony. We hold in our hands the same words of the lord (through the prophets) that commanded the world to be created and performed many a miracle to demonstrate his love for us. We hold these amazing words literally at our finger tips but how often do we really take advantage of them and dig into them and let our hungry souls be feed by it. I beg all of you to take "counsel from his hands" see the incredible lessons that can be learned from these words. If you haven't read the book of Mormon please do because I know that the book of Mormon is true and I have read it once. It is all you need to do to feel his love.

Our investigators are progressing despite our inadequacies with the language. We do a lot of reading out of the book of Mormon it simply explains the many blessings of the gospel it is the perfect teacher. This week I have worried that I don't share enough testimony and rely to heavily on the words of the lord but as I felt the spirit as I bore my testimony about the book I received a full answer to that question. It also helped to hear words from Elder Bednar about how we need to stop worrying so much about if you are feeling the spirit and just do the greatest good whatever it may be.

This Sunday was sad for us because we said goodbye to the oldest and favorite district in our zone. They left us a lot of wisdom and just showed us great examples. Upon their leaving my companion and I got called as the new district leaders for our district. I don't know how I feel about this responsibility. I just love my district more and more each day and encourage them to think about which decision is "good, better, and best."

Lastly I will share a little bit about our devotional this week. We all need to "hear to listen, Listen to learn, Learn to act" Are we actively listening to those around us not just hearing them as background noise to our own personal stories. As I learn a new language it is so hard to not trying and think of a response as the person in front of me is talking. I know every time I stop to really hear what they are saying I'm giving myself the chance to really help them.

I love you all,
Elder Packham


No comments:

Post a Comment