Sunday, March 29, 2015

I echo that statement....

March 23rd

This week Elder Packham's brother, Elder Jorvik Harris, wrote home from his mission and mentioned that missions are hard.  Elder Packham said... "I echo that statement!"  They also shared similiar opinions about patience!  I am thankful for the things that they are learning about themselves.

Here is Elder Packham's email:

So I'm going to write this in English because I want to share a lot and I don't understand the people that could write in Spanish already at this point in there mission. So I can understand a lot of what is being said which is really good but I am having trouble feeling like I am gaining confidence in talking in Spanish. If you guys would mind praying for the gift of tongues for me I would really appreciate it and probably the people that have to hear my horrible Spanish too.

My trainer has 3 months in the mission and he is from 2 hours away from our mission and is 24 but the spirit is so strong in him. I have pictures but the computer is being weird here so sorry I don't think that I will be sending any pictures. Sorry in advance for my spelling I am already like a paragraph ahead of the speed of the computer.

The people here are so different! They're so generous and kind its unbelievable I really like it. I wish more people in the states were like this. They have nothing but they wont let you leave their house without giving you something for the road. We have 1 investigator that is progressing he's 9 and its really hard for me cause he doesn't understand my Spanish at all. We had an investigating couple come to church which was cool cause I invited them to baptism I just forgot to get a date but I still count it.!
The hardest part for me right now is getting used to the culture. People here love to talk so that means that we easily have an hour lesson or more. I have to realize that its a productive us of time here and not a waste.

I love the spirit of the people here I wish I could adequately express all the feelings that I have about this. I mean here you could just call someone last minute and they just want to do what ever it is. For me I would think it was an imposition but that's not how it works here. Everyone loves all of the pictures I brought and stuff.

The coolest thing this week was my second day we had two lessons with less actives and we found two new people to teach cause they wanted to practice their English with me. Can you say moved by the spirit that was cool!

The names of our investigators are Sebastian, Juan and Ellana, Surian, and Antelma.

I am praying that Elder Packham will find his confidence with the language.  There is a great talk by Elder Holland entitled, "Cast Not Away Thy Confidence" and here is a quote from it:   "Along with the illuminating revelation that points us toward a righteous purpose or duty, God will also provide the means and power to achieve that purpose.  Trust in that eternal truth. If God has told you something is right, if something is indeed true for you, he will provide the way for you to accomplish it.  That is true of joining the Church.  It is true of getting an education, of going on a mission or of getting married or of any of a hundred worthy tasks in your young lives."
 I know that God will provide a way for Michael to accomplish his purposes in Mexico!



No comments:

Post a Comment