Sunday, October 11, 2015

Niche Mexicans

So this week was super interesting it was Independence day here in good ole mexico so of course its time to party! Missionary translation we have to be in our houses 3 hours early to avoid all the party! But it was still super fun we had a shaving cream fight (that's the best translation of what it is but it isn't exactly shaving cream) and we took our mustaches and went to see if we could see the fireworks. Unfortunately we couldn't see any but it was funny to try it out. We also were able to have interviews with president which was really great to talk to him about what we hope to accomplish in our mission and what plans and goals we have.

I have been studying a talk by Elder Packer entitled, The Candle of the Lord. In this talk it speaks as if to missionaries but it applies to everyone. There is a difference in knowing something as knowledge and having it written in your hearts. I know that the church is true not because I have intellectually debated it out in my mind but I know because I can feel it in my heart. I want to encourage you all to look to feel that these things are true for the first time or like its your first time. Something that I really liked from Elder Packer was when he said, The Spirit and testimony of Christ will come to you for the most part when, and remain with you only if, you share it. In that process is the very essense of the gospel.

Is not this a perfect demonstration of Christianity? You cannot find it, nor keep it, nor enlarge it unless and until you are willing to share it. It is by giving it away freely that it becomes yours.
It has really helped me this week as we meet with some opposition to the work here in this area. We have an investigator that is strongly Christian who constantly says that we are blaspheming but we were able to help him to start reading the Book of Mormon. He made it two pages before his "research" clouded out the message of the book. He came prepared with a 10 page written review of the book he had read two pages of. It was hard to sit there and listen to him laugh and attack the things that we held so dear but what I found so special that it didn't change the way I felt about the book. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and that I don't need to find where is every city to know that the words and teaching in the book are the words of god. I bore my testimony fervently that I know these things are true and though he laughed repeatedly in my face in my heart I felt a peace more profound then what the world can offer.
I want to invite you all to read 1 Corinthians chapter 2 and think about how you can receive a spiritual witness of these things.
Elder Packham


No comments:

Post a Comment